Do you only provide services in Dakota County?

We provide services throughout the Greater Twin Cities metro area – including in Hennepin, Ramsey, Dakota, Anoka, Washington, Isanti, Sherburne, and Wright counties. If services are requested in counties that we are not currently contracted with, we can look into doing so, as appropriate.

Are you an affiliate of Dakota County?

No. Established in 1972, Living Well Disability Services is a private, 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization providing services to
people with disabilities. Our original name was Dakota’s Children and we were known as Dakota Communities from 1997
until August 1, 2013.

What services do you provide?

We provide Residential (Waiver, ICF, Adult Foster), In Home Family Support, Semi-Independent Living Services (SILS), Independent Living Services (ILS), and Respite. We also provide consultation for Therapy, Behavior, and Therapeutic Recreation.

How many homes do you have and where are they located?

We own and operate 35 residential homes located in the following communities: Apple Valley, Big Lake, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Buffalo, Burnsville, Cambridge, Crystal, Eagan, Edina, Golden Valley, Inver Grove Heights, Lakeville, Little Canada, Long Lake, Maple Grove, Maplewood, Mendota Heights, Plymouth, Robbinsdale, South St. Paul, and West St. Paul. List of Locations

Do you have a waiting list for your residential homes?

While we do not maintain a waiting list for future openings in our residential homes, we welcome opportunities to discuss your needs. We will remain in contact with you regarding openings in homes. You may also be interested in services we provide through our Customized Services organization. You can contact 651-688-8808 for more information.

What funding sources do you accept for Customized Services?

We accept County Funding including the waivers (DD, CADI, and TBI). We also accept private pay.

Are you a PCA provider?

While we are not a certified PCA provider, we do provide services similar to what a PCA does through In Home Family Support and ILS. Our service focus includes personal cares as needed, as well as supports to maintain or increase a person’s independent living skills in their home and community.

Do you work with people with Autism or TBI?

Yes, we provide services to people with diagnosis on the Autism Spectrum and with TBI diagnosis through our Residential Services and Customized Services.

What ages do you serve?

We provide services to adults and children with IDD (Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities) and adults (without IDD) who have chronic illnesses like MS.

Do you provide weekend respite?

While we do not currently provide a weekend respite program, we have one respite bed in West St. Paul. On a limited basis and depending on individual needs and our resource availability, we may also be able to provide In-Home Respite.

What is the intake process for Customized Services?

Please contact your representative or case manager. They will begin a conversation with our Living Well Disability Services supervisor who will complete an initial intake interview by phone or email. Once funding and staffing availability is determined, a formal intake meeting will be scheduled.

Do you have a “pool” of staff for providing Customized Services?

Support is provided by Direct Support Professionals who are employees of Living Well Disability Services. Support is planned through a specialized matching process to pair individuals with trained professionals that are uniquely qualified to support specific needs.